Rediscovering Domesticity

has been moved to new address

http://www.rediscoveringdomesticity.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Rediscovering Domesticity: PPMD: Begining the Downward Spiral Again

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

PPMD: Begining the Downward Spiral Again

I have a confession to make - I'm having postpartum issues again.  Last time, the confession that I was not well was extremely difficult.  It took months for me to admit how far down the spiral I had gone.  This time, I know that being open and honest will only help me with treatment and recovery.

So, what's going on?  My thyroid is out of sorts again.  Feel free to peruse the tab above for more details about my past journey.  Basically, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (hyperthyroid) when I was 10.  I was treated with radioactive iodine to kill the thyroid and have been on replacement hormone since.  After delivering Buggy, we discovered that my thyroid was starting to produce hormone again (which is what caused most of my issues before). 

I have been well controlled through my pregnancy.  I figured I would need an adjustment or two after.  I have been very insistent on being tested very often - every 4-6 weeks.  Things have been great until two weeks ago.

I began noticing fatigue. Not just the new-mama fatigue, but fatigue where I get winded after just one flight of steps.  I have had insomnia for three weeks now.  On the 15th, I was checked again and my results showed that I was starting to go hyperthyroid again.  We decided to drop the dose of replacement hormone a bit.  Now, two weeks later, I am doing worse.  I called the doc today with a list of symptoms:
  • fatigue (I get winded just walking room to room now)
  • increasing anxiety
  • shaky hands
  • hot
  • continued insomnia
  • feeling like I am crawling out of my skin
  • snippiness (I really haven't been very nice at all)
  • extreme lack of patience
 Hopefully I will hear from the doctor soon.  I have a feeling we will decrease the hormone even more.  So far, I have not had the depression symptoms and I do NOT want them!  My milk supply is terrific.  I still laugh and have fun, just not as much as before.

Looking back and seeing how gradual that downward spiral was, I know I need to get this taken care of pronto.

Why am  I posting this?  It's to keep me accountable and to bring awareness to postpartum issues.  Do you have a Postpartum Mood Disorder story?  Would you like to share it here?  Please contact me!  Awareness is the first step in prevention and early treatment!  penguinelk at yahoo dot com

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth Zimmerman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Beth Zimmerman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My youngest daughter is 2 1/2 and I still feel I'm having bouts all the time. I don't have any thyroid issues that I'm aware of, just ulcerative colitis and some unknown liver issues...but I feel like I get depressed or certainly moody a lot! Don't really know what to do.

July 27, 2010 at 5:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Audra, I am here for you. In addition to the thyroid focus, be sure to ask about hormone treatments...email me and we can chat more. Good for you for sharing so openly this time...I am hopeful it will bring awareness and support! Hugs and prayers!
Amber

July 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I'm glad you're staying on top of this. It's very important for you to know your triggers and to get the help you need. I was fortunate not to experience this with my two children. I think you and anyone else who speaks about this openly are very brave, it's tough to talk about, but people need to be educated that this happens and women need help to get through it. Keep us updated.

July 28, 2010 at 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Julie said...

You are brave to talk about PPMD. So many women suffer in silence and I think it's important that we do talk about it. Thanks for sharing.

July 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM  
Blogger natdragon said...

Would love for you to follow up on this one. I will say that the mistake I made was taking medicine for 6 months and then assuming I was cured, without seeing anyone to help me confront all the negative messages I was sending myself. Big mistake. Good luck and I hope things get better soon.

August 16, 2010 at 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home