Rediscovering Domesticity

has been moved to new address

http://www.rediscoveringdomesticity.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Rediscovering Domesticity: Counter-Cultural Holiday Season

Monday, November 23, 2009

Counter-Cultural Holiday Season

What do the holidays mean to you?  How much do you stress over the holidays?   Do you ever watch old Chrismas movies and pine for the quiet times spent as families around the tree?  I have.  I know, many people find the term "Happy Holidays" to be offensive because it seems to be the new politically correct term that ignores Christmas.  I am using the term intentionally because I want to include Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

How long have you seen Christmas decorations up in stores?  One store nearby had their trees up on July 5th.  July 5th.  Can you believe it?  Add in all the sales that started months earlier than normal.  Add in all the hype.  Add in all the shopping and lists and Santa and STUFF and you have holiday burnout.

I feel that it is time to take back our holidays.  Thanksgiving isn't about turkey and football.  It's about being thankful for our vast blessings.  Christmas isn't about Santa and loads of presents under the tree, it is about Jesus coming to Earth, fully God and fully man, so that we could have a Savior.  Without Christmas, there is no Easter.  God gave us his SON as a gift.  We should give more than cheap plastic toys that aren't really needed to those we love.  There is so much more than all the STUFF and CLUTTER.

Check out this counter-cultural movement - the Advent Conspiracy.  See if it doesn't at least challenge your thinking about this giving season.  I know we are rethinking our holiday giving this year.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

That's great. Would you mind if I 'stole' that video for my blog? I'm starting to work on a Christmas post, and I think this video may go nicely with what I"m sharing.

This year is our first Christmas as a family, and we are thinking about starting new traditions. They may be hard for the grandparents to fully accept, but we're hoping for fewer gifts and more relationship time.

Thanks for your post.

November 23, 2009 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Audra Michelle said...

Amanda - steal away! This is our second Christmas as a family - Little Man is just 14 months old!

November 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home