Rediscovering Domesticity

has been moved to new address

http://www.rediscoveringdomesticity.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Rediscovering Domesticity: Breastfeeding in Public - Vignettes

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Breastfeeding in Public - Vignettes

Welcome to the July 2010 Carnival of Nursing in Public


This post was written for inclusion in the Carnival of Nursing in Public hosted by Dionna and Paige at NursingFreedom.org. All week, July 5-9, we will be featuring articles and posts about nursing in public ("NIP"). See the bottom of this post for more information.


***



Mama with Baby walks through the grocery store.  Baby begins to root.  Rooting gives way to fussing.  Fussing becomes screaming.  Harried Mama abandons her shopping cart.  Mama and Baby rush to the shelter of the car.  The very thought of feeding the babe where anyone might SEE or KNOW what Mama is doing was just too much to bear.  To her car she flees to nurse her little one under the cover of blankets.

Mama with Baby walks through the grocery store.  Mama wears Baby close to her heart in a sling.  Baby begins to root.  Mama retreats to a quiet corner of the store, struggles with a fussing baby and a nipple shield while completely covering with a large blanket.  Mama latches Baby and feels empowered.  Mama finishes her shopping then hurries home before Baby is hungry again.

Mama with Baby sits in a restaurant.  Mama wears Baby close to her heart in a sling.  Baby begins to root. Mama latches Baby on - no need for a blanket.  Mama smiles at her nursing Babe, proud.

Proud Mama confidently nurses baby whenever, wherever.  Proud Mama wants to change our world.

***********

Breastfeeding in public isn't easy - especially at first.  I was that Mama.  I still find myself a little nervous about nursing in certain public situations even now with baby number two.

Our society is quite hypocritical when it comes to breasts.  A mother nursing in public may expose a couple inches of the breast - rarely exposing the nipple.  This is seen as obscene by many.  However, how much more skin is shown in movies?  In commercials?  In prime time television?  On public beaches?  This exposure is seen as perfectly acceptable by most.

Breastfeeding shouldn't be looked down upon.  It shouldn't be attacked.  On the flipside, those who breastfeed shouldn't look down on those who do not - shouldn't attack or cause moms to feel guilty.

Have courage! Practice at home.  Do what makes you feel comfortable.  Cover if you wish. Use a carrier.  Wear nursing tops.  Take advantage of nursing rooms.  Whatever you choose.

I choose to cover most of the time.  I use the nursing room at church because it is more comfortable to nurse in a cooler room with rocking chairs.  I often use a sling or mei tai carrier to nurse in.  I, personally, dress so that my stomach is not exposed (who really wants to look at my stretch mark roadmap?) and so I have easy access in case I need to nurse.

Here are some helpful resources:
***************


Art by Erika Hastings at http://mudspice.wordpress.com/


Welcome to the Carnival of Nursing in Public


Please join us all week, July 5-9, as we celebrate and support breastfeeding mothers. And visit NursingFreedom.org any time to connect with other breastfeeding supporters, learn more about your legal right to nurse in public, and read (and contribute!) articles about breastfeeding and N.I.P.


Do you support breastfeeding in public? Grab this badge for your blog or website to show your support and encourage others to educate themselves about the benefits of breastfeeding and the rights of breastfeeding mothers and children.




This post is just one of many being featured as part of the Carnival of Nursing in Public. Please visit our other writers each day of the Carnival. Click on the links below to see each day’s posts - new articles will be posted on the following days:

July 5 - Making Breastfeeding the Norm: Creating a Culture of Breastfeeding in a Hyper-Sexualized World

July 6 – Supporting Breastfeeding Mothers: the New, the Experienced, and the Mothers of More Than One Nursing Child

July 7 – Creating a Supportive Network: Your Stories and Celebrations of N.I.P.

July 8 – Breastfeeding: International and Religious Perspectives

July 9 – Your Legal Right to Nurse in Public, and How to Respond to Anyone Who Questions It

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Dionna @ Code Name: Mama said...

I think I've been in each of those situations too - I'm sure most of us have. I've used the term "breastfeeding journey" many times, but I think the best illustration of that journey is the increased comfort levels - both of the technicalities of nursing, but also with our own self-confidence when we are out and about.

July 7, 2010 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I love reading everyone's journeys through this process. I was amazed how quickly I went from terrified (and nursing in the car, at the back of the parking lot, under a blanket) to taking care of business (no cover up, standing in the middle of the exit rush, waiting for the ferry at Disney).

July 7, 2010 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger JoEllen said...

I was thinking the same thing Tina said!

I like that you pointed out that moms can NIP in whatever way they feel comfortable. There is not a single "right" way to do so.

July 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said! The "right" way to breastfeed in public is the way that works best for mom and baby.

Plus, I'm a big fan of the tank top or belly band under a shirt.

July 10, 2010 at 1:23 AM  
Anonymous Melisa said...

As a young mother 12 years ago, I never breastfed where people could see me...fast forward 10 years when my 4th son was born...I finally realized that I had the right to eat when and where I needed to...why couldn't he? I found that once Kaden was latched on, noone could see anything anyway. If we were in a restaurant, I chose a table in a corner with my back to the other diners. This was not for my comfort, but for those around me.
By changing my attitude about breastfeeding and becoming more comfortable and confident, I was able to breastfeed my son until he weaned himself at 13 months.

July 11, 2010 at 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home