Rediscovering Domesticity

has been moved to new address

http://www.rediscoveringdomesticity.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Rediscovering Domesticity: Breastfeeding: My Favorite Products

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Breastfeeding: My Favorite Products

Before I started breastfeeding, I thought that all I would need would be a few pads for in my bra, maybe a few special bras, and a nursing cover if I wanted to get fancy.  Well, looking back, I really only NEEDED those things, but there were several other products that were so incredibly helpful that made it possible for me to nurse in the first place and to continue as long as I have (still nursing at 15 months and pregnant).

Here are the products that I loved along with WHY I loved them.  Disclaimer:  I am an Amazon associate.  I receive no free products from them, however, I do receive a small percentage of compensation for advertising their products if those products are purchased through my links.  I will never advertise things simply to advertise them.  I will only advertise and link to products that I really believe in.

Audra's Favorite Breastfeeding Products
Medela Contact Nipple Shield - Standard Size (24mm)  The nipple shield is the only way I could nurse my Little Man in the beginning.  He was a preemie and due to his size and my shape (very round without any stretch yet), he couldn't latch properly.  By using the shield, he could latch and we could nurse from the beginning.  If you use a shield, make sure to have a lactation consultant show you how to properly use one so that it does not affect supply.  Also, you will need to learn what size would work best for you as they come in various sizes.

Lansinoh Lanolin - Nursing Cream, 2 oz (1 Each)  Lanolin can really help keep nipples from cracking.  I tried several brands.  I do not recommend getting a generic or store brand.  I found that to be too sticky and somewhat painful to apply.  The Lansinoh brand as well as the Medela brand were both fantastic.  Lanolin does not need to be wiped off before baby nurses.

Medela Soft Shells for Sore Nipples The first few weeks of breastfeeding can be painful.  Lanolin did help me some, but I personally had more success with breast shells.  These were soooo comfortable!  They are worn in the bra.  There is a soft silicone part that goes against the breast with a hole for the nipple.  The outer shell is hard plastic with air circulation holes.  They even have absorbent pads inside to catch dripping milk.  These shells allowed me to allow some milk to dry on my nipples (works like a charm) while still being clothed.  It also kept clothes from touching my sore nipples.

Medela also makes shells to help draw out inverted nipples over time.  I have been told they are also quite comfortable to wear and effective.

Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover, Lots of Dots  Many people swear by nursing pillows.  I don't know if it was my size (under 5 feet tall) or baby's size (only 5lbs at birth), but I didn't find the pillow to be very helpful for nursing.  I loved it for when Little Man was learning to sit on his own.  There are two very popular brands of pillows.  I have the Boppy.   There is also a pillow called the Brest Friend pillow that actually secures around the waist with a strap and some moms use it as support to nurse while standing up.

HugaMonkey Crush Organic Baby Sling (Large) A sling is a lifesaver for the new mom!  Since baby will be nursing a good part of the day, a sling is so helpful in allowing mom to have 2 hands free and to be mobile during nursing sessions!  I have a HugaMonkey fitted sling.  I loved that I could do dishes while my son nursed or napped.  I also would go to Target, latch him on in the car, and shop for awhile during a feeding and nap.

There are many varieties of slings - the Moby Wrap, Maya Wrap, Ring Slings (both padded and not padded - check on Etsy.com for great handmade options of any type of sling), Sleepywrap, and many more.

Lansinoh Double Electric Breast Pump, BPA Free, 1-Count Box If you are planning to go back to work or planning on being away from baby even occasionally, a breast pump is very important.  I had a hand pump from the beginning but never learned how to use it properly.    A pump can relieve some of the engorgement early on and help baby latch on.  Once I realized how much I would use a pump, I started doing my research.  A good friend of mine loaned me her Medela Pump in Style.  This was an amazing pump.  Quiet, efficient, durable, and fully adjustable.  As a stay at home mom, I just couldn't justify the cost if there was another option out there.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the Medela pump (and have heard nothing but good things about the other Medela pumps) and if I were going back to work and had the need to pump multiple times daily, I would get one in a heartbeat.

Through my research, I found a few less expensive options.  I ended up purchasing the Lansinoh Double Electric breast pump.  It has a closed system so that milk vapor cannot reach the motor.  It can be used on one side or both sides at once.  It comes with several replacement parts (which I have not needed yet).  It has adjustable suction strength and speed just like the Medela.  It is able to run on batteries - this helped a ton on long car trip with a very off-schedule and sleepy baby!  It is a bit noisier and also does not come with a fancy carrying case.  Another great option is the Ameda Purely Yours.  The Ameda is essentially the same pump as the Lansinoh, just a different color.  The Ameda has the option of using special carrying cases.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Soothies!! http://www.amazon.com/Soothies-Gel-Pads-Nursing-Moms/dp/B00005BTKP

I used these a lot. The only drawback was that you had to clean off your breast before nursing. Otherwise, they were wonderful!

February 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home