Rediscovering Domesticity

has been moved to new address

http://www.rediscoveringdomesticity.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Rediscovering Domesticity: Works for me Wednesday - Duct Tape and Christmas Tree

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Works for me Wednesday - Duct Tape and Christmas Tree


Ah - the joys of life with a toddler.  Yesterday, Little Man and I decided to start decorating the tree.  Our adventure began with a box of ornaments crashing to the floor - glass ball ornaments do not hold up well to ceramic tile.  After sequestering baby and dog, I got the mess safely cleaned. 


Next  begins actually decorating.  Our tree is a small artificial tree that I got on black friday a few years back for just $20.  It's about 5 feet tall.  I decided to put it on top of an end table and place it in a front window.  It looks great there especially now with a baby grand piano next to it!  Anyway, please ignore the mess beside the tree and that it isn't centered on the window - now that the piano is there, it is centered, cleaned up, and looks much better!


I made it a point to take out the kid-friendly ornaments and let Little Man play with them, however, the temptation of the tree was just too much.  Those little hands reached out for the tree skirt and yanked that tree nearly onto his little head.  Thankfully, my cat-like reflexes enabled me to grab the tree before disaster struck.

Well, I can't build a fence around the tree (actually, I COULD - a friend of mine DID - but I am just not willing - Little Man needs to learn limits) so I needed a solution to make the tree safer.  Enter Duct Tape!  Have you heard the rule "if it doesn't move and should, use WD-40, if it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape?"  I figured the tree isn't supposed to move so duct tape seemed logical.  The legs are now safely taped to the table under the tree skirt.  Works for me!

Head on over to We Are THAT Family for more great tips and ideas!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

Too funny! Duct tape is a great solution for you. Hmm, I might use that trick myself...I don't have little fingers grabbing for our tree, but since we live in our RV, anything loose can go flying when we drive. Last year, I tried to bungee-cord the tree in place, but I'm thinkin' duct tape is the answer.

Thanks for the idea!

December 9, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home