Rediscovering Domesticity

has been moved to new address

http://www.rediscoveringdomesticity.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Rediscovering Domesticity: Feathering My Nest

Monday, September 21, 2009

Feathering My Nest


I am so excited for fall.  I LOVE pretty much everything about this season, especially Thanksgiving and the approach of Christmas.   I am also excited for this blog carnival to celebrate Fall!

How do YOU "feather your nest" for fall?  Link up at Hoosier Homemade and share!  You will also be entered to win some super cute fall decorations!

Since we have been so busy for so many years with me working full time and Hubby getting his doctorate, we haven't created many traditions.  This time of year was always full of business travel for both of us so the only thing that ever happened was the setting of the fake Christmas tree after Thanksgiving.

Now that I am staying at home with Baby, I am enjoying the discovery of special things to do for fall.  I have big dreams.  I have a small budget.  The trick is to try to mesh the two.

What I Can Do Now:
I have a wooden bear on my front door.  He's my Welcome Bear.  He has different clothes that velcro on based on the seasons.  To ring in fall, my bear changed out of his baseball uniform and into his Steelers uniform.


I brought my fall centerpiece out and put my fall neutral tablecloth on. This year, I decided to actually USE my good silver tray.  Why store things we love when we could USE them and ENJOY them?


I got out a little knick-knack:


My fall wreath (that I plan to move to our entry way for a brick background and I plan to replace the current space with a wreath I make).



And I am occasionally burning candles of my FAVORITE fall scent - apples and cinnamon!  We don't use many fragrance items in the home due to allergies, but I will always use a touch of this fragrance during fall and winter.


Our Food:
I love hearty fall food!  Unfortunately, Hubby isn't too fond of produce of any sort.  Here are some favorites:
  • Cincinatti Chili
  • Regular chili - I want to experiment with a chili soup idea I have in my head that uses no beans so Hubby will eat it
  • Crusty bread
  • Pumpkin seeds!


My Dreams:
As we have more children and as they grow, I would love to incorporate the following:
  • hayrides
  • pumpkin patch
  • campfires (or a fire pit on our deck)
  • walks in the woods
  • fall color camera adventures (go on walks/drives to capture West Virginia fall color on our cameras!)
I love fall!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

oh, yes, the smells! There's something about crisp, cool outside air and the spicy scent of apple, pumpkin, or cinnamon. I'm done now! I've popped in on 4 Fall Festival participants and commented on them all, so now it's time to haul out my boxes and do my own mini makeover.

September 21, 2009 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger SnoWhite said...

I love fall too! I've found those glade scents to be very inviting -- we don't use them often due to allergies too.

September 21, 2009 at 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Just Jennifer said...

Just stopping by from WFMW to check out your blog. It's pretty spiffy. :) And you have some great articles. I enjoyed reading the couple I looked at. You have officially gotten yourself another daily reader :)

Thanks for havin' me and hope to see you over at my bloggy. Have a great week.

September 23, 2009 at 1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home